Making your own all natural dog treat is an excellent alternative to rawhide and since it’s one of the sweetest of all the vegetables, you’ll have no trouble getting your dog to try this dog treat recipe.
- Preheat oven to 120 C (fan forced).
- Wash the sweet potato.
- Cut into long slices, or round slices about 1cm wide.
- Place on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in oven for about 3 hours.
- Cut Even Pieces – You want to find a potato that is as uniform in shape as possible. This will help in the drying process as the pieces will be similar in shape and will cook through at the same time.
- Degree of Chewiness – Baking for 3 hours results in a soft, but chewy dog treat. If your dog prefers more of a crunch, then bake for an additional 20-30 minutes. When you take the sweet potatoes out of the oven, they may at first appear to be too soft.
- Let it Cool – Let them cool completely on a wire rack before you decide whether or not to bake them longer. This is because they will continue to dry or harden while cooling.
- The Finished Treat – Sweet potatoes can vary in flesh color when raw, so don’t be shocked if they turn out lighter or darker than you imagined. The texture is what you need to be most concerned with. Bake longer or shorter for the texture that your dog prefers.
- Monitor Eating – As with all jerky, monitor your pet and adjust the size of the pieces so they are appropriate for your dog and do not present a choking hazard.
(Image: Layers of Happiness)